Residential development is a large part of our Architectural Acoustics and Building Acoustics work.  It covers conventional dwellings such has Houses and Apartments, but also Hotels, Student Accommodation, Homes for Multiple Occupation (HMO), Care Homes, etc.

The main document covering acoustic design of residential accommodation is Approved Document E of the Building Regulations, often referred to as ADE or Part E.

These regulations set out decisive (if confusing) criteria for sound insulation performance for all types of residential accommodation, including dwellings, hotels, student halls of residence, residential homes, and also schools.

Most residential development requires pre-completion sound testing and air testing. ADC is an Association of Noise Consultants (ANC) approved test body for pre-completion sound testing under the Approved Document E. We also carry out air testing for part L.

An alternative to testing has been the development of Robust Details. RDs are an innovation brought in by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister which include tried and tested constructions which will achieve a minimum of 5dB in excess of the Building Regulations ADE requirement, albeit at a price.

For more detailed information, please see our pages on: